Sunday 13 October 2013

Using Diigo for Learning in My Classroom

Diigo is a fantastic tool to use while conducting research because of it's ability to annotate web resources. While it saves all the notations you made in your favorites, it's true power lies in the fact that you can actually share content with other people who are parking on the same research. This of course is an effective tool for classroom research as well as in the business world, and for personal use. While we've been studying how to use Diigo, it came to my attention that not only is this a tool for teachers but considering I am a tech coordinator for a campus, I should actually try to use this to teach the teachers I work with. After, to a certain degree, the teachers are my classroom.

Frequently I am attempting to provide teachers with new resources. I find often they are bombarded with information and the amount of time to assess the usability of these tools is challenging. If I could get my teachers to all subscribe to Diigo, than when new resources become available, whether subscriptions the school is providing, or websites explaining new software we've obtained license a license for, I could highlight the key uses as well as provide sticky notes on the actual websites. Pushing this out to the teachers would give them a chance to skip directly to my highlights, giving them a concise and poignant summary of how they could use the content and showing them what is truly important to know.
Using Diigo to make notes on a web page

The beauty of Diigo is the ability to share. Not only would they be able to see what I believe is important for them to know, but they would also be able to see feedback and thoughts from other teachers. In many ways, this would give me a more practical and useful way for teacher to share ideas about how to use the new softwares for subscription we are adapting.

The other beauty of Diigo is the fact that it allows for screenshots. Screenshots would allow me to make a collection of information for the teachers to see in my favorites on Diigo. They could click on my account and at any given time teachers could review all the content that I have shared.

And of course it goes without being said, that in through the process of doing this, teachers would also be learning how to use Diigo. I believe through this practical use of this service, they would actually be able to think of ways to apply this powerful tool to their classrooms as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment